Skip to main content

End-of-year arrangements Our offices and phone lines will close down over the holiday season, but our website, self-service 0800 number and myIR will remain available. Find out more

We've upgraded our voice system You may notice some changes the next time you call us. Find out more

Australia and New Zealand have a reciprocal agreement for child support. This means the parent caring for a child can apply for child support in the country they live in, and the child support can be referred to the other country for collection if the liable parent doesn’t make their payments.

New Zealand has also joined the 2007 Child Support Convention, which means that we can ask for help to make child support (and domestic maintenance) decisions and receive payments from parents living in other member countries. We can also be asked to do this when a parent lives in New Zealand.

If you are in another country and the child is a New Zealand citizen or the other parent is a New Zealand citizen or is ordinarily resident in New Zealand you may be able to apply for child support. 

Overseas child support

Last updated: 04 Oct 2021
Jump back to the top of the page