Skip to main content

Budget 2024: The Government has announced FamilyBoost, a proposed new childcare payment to help eligible families with the rising costs of Early Childhood Education (ECE). Find out more:

If you have been living in Niue, Cook Islands, Tokelau, or Ross Dependency for at least 6 months you may be able to keep your student loan interest free. To apply, you need to:

  • have met your repayment obligations on time
  • send us your worldwide income information.

You can apply for past years back to 1 April 2009. You will also need to give us your worldwide income and travel dates for those tax years.

Apply to keep my student loan interest-free overseas

If your application is approved

If we approve your application your student loan will be interest free for the approved time period(s). Your repayment obligations will be based on your worldwide income and must be paid by the due date.

Three ways to provide information required for your application
Information to support your application

You can complete and send us an Overseas interest free-realm countries – IR1231 application. You’ll need:

  • the time period you’re applying for
  • your travel information
  • an employer to complete your employment information on the back page.

You can send us a letter from an employer with all the following information on it:

  • you are/were their employee
  • the date you started your employment
  • the date you ended your employment (if it applies)
  • any dates you may have been away from work
  • your gross income (annually if it applies)
  • your employer’s contact details.

You can send us a letter from Customs in Niue, Cook Islands, Tokelau, or Ross Dependency to show all your travel over the period you're applying for.

Last updated: 04 Mar 2024
Jump back to the top of the page