Student loans Dates
MAR 31Overseas-based student loan repayment due if you do not have a temporary repayment suspension.
APR 7End-of-year student loan repayments are due if you have a tax agent with a valid extension of time.
MAY 8Interim student loan repayments are due. They count towards your end-of-year repayment obligation.
If you have been living in Niue, Cook Islands, Tokelau, or Ross Dependency for at least 6 months you may be able to keep your student loan interest free. To apply, you need to:
- have met your repayment obligations on time
- send us your worldwide income information.
You can apply for past years back to 1 April 2009. You will also need to give us your worldwide income and travel dates for those tax years.
There are 3 ways to apply. See below.
If your application is approved
If we approve your application your student loan will be interest free for the approved time period(s). Your repayment obligations will be based on your worldwide income and must be paid by the due date.
You can complete and send us an Overseas interest free-realm countries – IR1231 application. You’ll need:
- the time period you’re applying for
- your travel information
- an employer to complete your employment information on the back page.
You can send us a letter from an employer with all the following information on it:
- you are/were their employee
- the date you started your employment
- the date you ended your employment (if it applies)
- any dates you may have been away from work
- your gross income (annually if it applies)
- your employer’s contact details.
You can send us a letter from Customs in Niue, Cook Islands, Tokelau, or Ross Dependency to show all your travel over the period you're applying for.