The 10,000 plus anonymous tip-offs we get each year reinforces New Zealand’s belief that paying the correct amount of tax is the right thing to do.
Just because someone is doing the wrong thing does not mean they are doing it on purpose. Every single tip-off helps us refine our data sets to identify patterns and trends in community and business segments. They also help us get information and tools in place to help you get your obligations right from the start. With this information we also:
- create targeted marketing campaigns
- update our website
- have our Community Compliance group get in touch with customers to help them understand their tax obligations.
Tip-offs help us identify customers that deliberately try to avoid their tax obligations, such as tradespeople not providing receipts. When tax avoidance is identified, we take a range of factors into account in deciding what action to take. These actions could be:
- contacting these customers to help them correct their returns and behaviour
- performing an audit of their accounts
- prosecution for tax avoidance.