Make a payment
Individual income tax Tāke moni whiwhi mō te takitahi

Income from rental properties

Paying tax on your rental income

Generally, any income that you receive from renting out property will be liable for income tax, so you must include it in your tax return. This income could be from renting out land or buildings, or it could be income you earn by having private boarders or flatmates living with you.

Rent in advance

If you receive rent in advance, it is taxable in the year in which you receive it. For example, if your tenant paid rent on 30 March 2006 which covers the following two weeks, you must still return this income in the income year 1 April 2005 to 31 March 2006 (if you have a standard 31 March balance date).

Tenancy bond

Amounts received for tenancy bond and passed on to the Tenancy Bond Centre are not income. Amounts received from the Tenancy Bond Centre for payment of damages, rent arrears etc, should be included as income.


The following expenses can be deducted from your rental income:

  • rates and insurance
  • interest paid on money borrowed to finance your property
  • fees or commission paid to agents who collect the rent, maintain your rental, or find tenants for you
  • repairs and maintenance (except if they substantially improve the property)
  • motor vehicle and travel expenses
  • mortgage repayment insurance
  • accounting fees for the preparation of accounts
  • depreciation (but not building depreciation).

Next steps

For more information on expenses you can claim and expenses you can't claim, read our Rental income (IR264) booklet.