Make a payment
Individual income tax Tāke moni whiwhi mō te takitahi

Paying tax on your salary or wage

If your income is from salary, wages, benefits or taxable pensions, your tax will automatically be deducted under the PAYE (pay as you earn) system. This means when you get your weekly, fortnightly, or monthly pay, your tax has already been deducted from it.

What is PAYE?

PAYE is the tax your employer deducts from your salary and wages. It includes:

What you need to do

Follow these steps to pay tax on your salary or wage income:

  1. Give your IRD number to your employer or payer. If you don't have an IRD number, you need to complete an IRD number application - resident individual (IR595) form.
  2. Complete a Tax code declaration (IR330) form, sign it and give it to your employer. Use our decision tree to work out your tax code.

If you use any of the following tax codes, M SL or ME SL, and earn over the pay period repayment threshold, your employer will make student loan deductions from your gross earnings.

If you use any of the following secondary tax codes:

  • SB SL
  • S SL
  • SH SL, or
  • ST SL

your employer will make student loan deductions from your gross earnings at the secondary rate of  12%.


If you don't complete a Tax code declaration (IR330) your tax will be deducted at the no-notification rate of 45 cents in each dollar.

What happens next

Your employer will deduct your PAYE and student loan deductions (if applicable) and pay them to us. It's a good idea to check you're on the correct tax code on your next payslip. If you use the wrong tax code we can write to your employer and ask them to change it.

Check the amount of PAYE you should be paying

You can check that your employer is deducting the correct amount of PAYE from each pay by using the PAYE/KiwiSaver deductions calculator.

Most people who earn salary or wages pay the correct amount of tax during the year. However, if you're employed for only part of the year, or have more than one job, you could be entitled to a tax refund at the end of the year.

How can I find out how much I earned for the year?

If you're registered for our "Look at Account information" service, you can view your earnings information online.

Or, you can request a summary of earnings by calling 0800 257 778. Your summary of earnings shows how much income you've received and how much tax was deducted by each employer.