Make a payment
Individual income tax Tāke moni whiwhi mō te takitahi

Attributable fringe benefits

If you're a shareholder-employee, and you and any associated persons hold voting interests of 50% or more in the company, the value of any attributable fringe benefits received and the fringe benefit tax paid by the company is treated as income for WfFTC and student loans.


For WfFTC purposes, if both you and your spouse or partner hold interests totalling 50% or more, you both need to calculate and tell us your income.

What attributable fringe benefits are

Attributable fringe benefits are:

  • motor vehicles for private use
  • low/nil-interest employee loans
  • subsidised transport (when the employer is in the business of transporting the public) in excess of $1,000
  • contributions to insurance schemes in excess of $1,000
  • contributions to sickness, accident or death funds in excess of $1,000
  • any other benefits received in excess of $2,000.

If you receive fringe benefits but you are not a shareholder-employee of the company you work for, then you don't need to include the value of the fringe benefits in your income.


Jack and Diane are married and receive WfFTC for their three children. Together they have a 100% voting interest in a a plumbing company and are both employed by the business. They each receive a salary of $35,000.  The company provides each of them with a work vehicle which they can also use for private use. The value of the private use of the vehicle plus the FBT payable by the company is $8,000 for Jack and $6,000 for Diane for the tax year.

Jack has a student loan and he and Diane receive WfFTC.

Jack will need to include $8,000 for the calculation of WfFTC and his student loan.

Diane will need to include $6,000 as income for the calculation of her WfFTC entitlement.

Find out more about fringe benefits