Skip to main content

Delays to response times: It is taking longer than usual for us to answer calls and myIR messages. This is because of the demand for COVID-19 business support, and the impact COVID-19 is having on our teams. We appreciate your patience and will respond as soon as we can. If possible, please contact us through your myIR account. Log in to myIR

COVID-19 Support Payment (CSP): Applications for the CSP are now closed. Due to the large number of applications for the CSP, there may be a delay in approving some applications. Find out more about the CSP

Budget 2022: The Government has announced Budget 2022, which includes changes to child support payments. Find out more on our Tax Policy website

Budget 2022: The Government has announced a Cost of Living Payment, which will be paid from 1 August 2022. You do not need to apply for this payment. If you are eligible, we’ll pay it into your bank account. Find out more

If you have a spouse or partner who is not a New Zealand tax resident, their worldwide income is treated as part of your family income for Working for Families.

You'll need to tell us about all the income (in NZ dollars) they earn. We may require you to provide evidence of their income.

Tax residency status for individuals


Christine lives in New Zealand with her children and receives Working for Families. Her de facto partner Al works overseas. He is not a tax resident in New Zealand.

For the tax year Al receives an income which is equal to $NZ80,000.

Christine will need to include his income of NZ $80,000 as family income for Working for Families.

Last updated: 28 Apr 2021
Jump back to the top of the page