Skip to main content

Delays to response times: It is taking longer than usual for us to answer calls and myIR messages. This is because of the demand for COVID-19 business support, and the impact COVID-19 is having on our teams. We appreciate your patience and will respond as soon as we can. If possible, please contact us through your myIR account. Log in to myIR

COVID-19 Support Payment (CSP): Applications for the CSP are now closed. Due to the large number of applications for the CSP, there may be a delay in approving some applications. Find out more about the CSP

Budget 2022: The Government has announced Budget 2022, which includes changes to child support payments. Find out more on our Tax Policy website

Budget 2022: The Government has announced a Cost of Living Payment, which will be paid from 1 August 2022. You do not need to apply for this payment. If you are eligible, we’ll pay it into your bank account. Find out more

If you receive a pension from overseas that is exempt from New Zealand income tax, you need to include it as income for Working for Families and student loans if both of the following apply:

  • you're entitled to receive NZ Superannuation
  • your payments are reduced by the amount of overseas pension you receive.  

When you do not need to include your overseas pension

If you pay your entire overseas pension to Work and Income and receive the full NZ Superannuation entitlement, you do not need to tell us the amount of your overseas pension.

Example 1

Cory receives a $10,000 UK pension that is similar to NZ Super. He does not pay his UK pension to Work and Income.

The full entitlement to NZ Super is $14,000 (example only). He receives $4,000 NZ Super less tax and keeps his $10,000 UK pension.

To make sure Cory receives the same net amount as a person on full NZ Super, Cory's UK pension is tax exempt.

Cory needs to include the $10,000 overseas pension as part of his income for Working for Families and student loans. The $4,000 he receives in NZ Super will be automatically included.

Example 2

Eva receives a Netherlands pension of $6,000 and pays it to Work and Income to offset her NZ Super entitlement.

She receives the full entitlement to NZ Super of $14,000 (example only).

Eva does not need to tell us about her Netherlands pension for Working for Families or student loans. Her NZ Super is automatically included.

Last updated: 28 Apr 2021
Jump back to the top of the page