Skip to main content

Resurgence Support Payment (RSP) Businesses affected by the alert level increase that started on 17 August are able to apply for a Resurgence Support Payment. Find out more

COVID-19 - Our offices are currently closed for customer visits so we can support the government’s COVID response. We will contact you if you have already booked an appointment with us. You can still contact us and get help.    Contact us

Individualised funding hosts

Service fee

You keep part of the funding as a fee for your services. You'll need to pay income tax and GST on this.

Employing staff and contractors

If you hire staff, you'll need to register as an employer. You'll need to deduct PAYE, KiwiSaver, student loan and child support deductions.

If you hire a self employed contractor, they'll take care of their own taxes.

Register as an employer

Private domestic workers

Individualised funding hosts cannot hire private domestic workers to work at a client’s house. Private domestic workers need to be employed by the person who lives in the home they work at. 

Individualised funding service providers

Individualised funding employees

If you're employed by an individualised funding host or client, they'll deduct PAYE and child support, KiwiSaver and student loan repayments from your salary or wages.

Individualised funding private domestic worker

If you're employed by an individualised funding client, you'll be a private domestic worker if you answer 'yes' to all these questions:

  • Do you work in the client's home?
  • Is the work you do for the client separate from any business they do?
  • Are you paid directly by the client?
  • Do you work part time (no more than 30 hours a week on average) for each client?

If you’re a private domestic worker you'll have to register as an IR56 taxpayer. You'll need to take care of your own PAYE, child support, KiwiSaver and student loan repayments.

IR56 taxpayers

Individualised funding contractors

If you're not an employee you'll be an individualised funding contractor. As a contractor you need to pay your own taxes. You might need to pay provisional tax, and you'll need to file an individual income return each year. If your income is more than $60,000 a year, you’ll need to register for GST.

You need to keep full and accurate records of when and how much you were paid, and who paid you. You must keep these records for at least 7 years.

Record keeping

Individual tax return - IR3

Last updated: 05 Oct 2020
Jump back to the top of the page