Skip to main content

COVID-19 Alert Level 1 If you've been affected by COVID-19, we may be able to help. Find out more

If you make a mistake in an investment income return, you can correct it in myIR by uploading a new CSV file with the amended information.

The new CSV file will replace the original return submitted.

Create an updated CSV file

You’ll need details of:

  • the payee whose information is wrong
  • what the correct information should be.

Update your original CSV file with the correct information. Make sure the 'assessment/reassessment status' is 'R'.

Investment income reporting file format specifications

Access your withholding tax account in myIR

For example, click the ‘RWT on interest’ hyperlink on the account tile.

Select your return for the relevant period

Select the 'Periods' tab and select the period hyperlink for the return that needs to be amended.

Then select ‘File or amend return’ in the ‘I want to…’ section, then select ‘Amend a return’.

Tell us why you're amending the return

Select an amendment reason (for example, 'calculation error’) and briefly explain how the mistake happened.

Upload your file

Select ‘upload file’. Follow the onscreen instructions to choose your updated CSV file.

If the file is uploaded successfully, then you need to confirm the information being submitted is true and correct.

If there are any errors in your file, an error report is displayed onscreen and you need to correct them before you can upload the file.

Make your payment

If you need to make a payment, you can choose to pay by direct debit now. If so, enter your bank details and select 'Payment confirmation'.

You can also choose to pay later.

Final return

Only select ‘final return’ if you are no longer going to be paying investment income.

Submit your return

A confirmation page will show once the return has been submitted.

myIR Secure Online Services