Skip to main content

COVID-19 Alert Level 1 If you've been affected by COVID-19, we may be able to help. Find out more

Gather your information

You’ll need:

  • the IRD number to be registered
  • your contact details
  • your BIC (business industry classification) code
  • the date you'll start paying interest.

Log in to myIR

Select 'More' next to 'I want to'

Select 'Register for new tax accounts'

This is under ‘Other actions’.

Fill in the form

If you pay more than $5,000 a year in interest as part of your taxable activity, select 'Resident withholding tax on interest (IPS)'.

If you’re deducting RWT on dividends treated as interest or Māori authority distributions, select 'Resident withholding tax (RWT)'.

Fill in your contact details, address and bank account, if needed. You’ll also need to give us specific details about your RWT account.

Submit the registration

Confirm your information is correct then click 'submit'.

Log in to myIR

What happens next

Submissions take up to 10 days to process.

We’ll contact you if we need more information. Your resident withholding tax account will be available in myIR after your application is processed.

You can either:

  • complete the registration online
  • download and fill in the form Resident withholding tax – interest payer registration – IR450. Post it to one of the addresses on the form. Remember to take a copy for your records.