Skip to main content

Budget 2024 | The Government has confirmed changes to personal income tax, the independent earner tax credit, in-work tax credit, and the minimum family tax credit. Find out more: Personal income tax threshold changes

An instalment arrangement is a formal debt repayment plan. It’s for debt you cannot pay in full by the due date, or overdue debt.

By keeping to the agreed repayment plan you may stop us taking further collection action. You can set up an instalment arrangement to repay your debt in set amounts weekly, fortnightly, or monthly. 

If you’re paying with internet banking you do not need to set up a direct debit agreement. You still need to request an instalment arrangement for any debt you cannot pay in full before the due date.

Any overdue debt balances may cause use of money interest (UOMI) and penalties. You can find more information about penalties and interest on our website.

Penalties and interest

Before you start

You'll need to know:

  • how much you can afford to pay towards your debt
  • whether you'll pay by direct debit or another method
  • when you want your instalment payments to start.

Apply for an instalment arrangement in myIR

From the homepage in myIR, apply to pay using instalments by selecting:

  • 'Request an instalment arrangement' under the 'I want to ...' column.

Read about the service and payment methods.

Select if you can or cannot pay the minimum amount

You'll be able to see the total amount owing and a list of the due amounts for each tax type.

Select whether you can or cannot pay the weekly amount shown under 'Minimum payment amount'. You'll be able to pay fortnightly or monthly if you choose, but make sure those amounts work out to match this figure on a weekly basis.

  • If you cannot afford the minimum repayment, we'll ask you to confirm your contact details and we'll give you a call to talk about your options.
  • If you're able to pay the minimum amount, carry on with the application.

Choose a payment method

Select how you'll pay instalments:

  • direct debit
  • credit or debit card
  • internet banking
  • future Working for Families payments - select 'WfFTC Entitlements'.

Enter your details that match the payment method you're using.

Set and view your instalment schedule

For your instalment details, choose:

  • a frequency, that is, how often you want to make the payments
  • an amount, such as the minimum payment or a higher amount
  • the first instalment date. The dates you can choose will depend on how you're making your payments, for example direct debit or manually.

Once you’re finished, click 'Calculate' and you’ll see your instalment plan.

Review and submit your application

Make sure all your payment and plan details are right. If so, click 'Submit'.

Log in to myIR

You can also reach out to us by:

  • sending us a message in myIR
  • calling us.

Debt and refunds - contact us

What happens next

We'll contact you in myIR or by phone and do 1 of the following:

  • let you know our decision
  • ask for more information
  • discuss your options.

We charge interest on overdue amounts. This interest is included as part of your instalment amounts.

My responsibilities

You can choose to pay by direct debit in myIR. You will need to first set up a direct debit agreement.

Set up a direct debit agreement with us

If you have child support debt, you'll need to sort this out by sending us a message in myIR or calling us.

Sorting out child support debt

You'll also need to be clear about all of your options if you have either:

  • a student loan
  • Working for Families overpayments.

I am having difficulty repaying my student loan

Paying back Working for Families overpayments

Last updated: 24 May 2024
Jump back to the top of the page