Skip to main content

Delays to response times: It is taking longer than usual for us to answer calls and myIR messages. This is because of the demand for COVID-19 business support, and the impact COVID-19 is having on our teams. We appreciate your patience and will respond as soon as we can. If possible, please contact us through your myIR account. Log in to myIR

COVID-19 Support Payment (CSP): Applications for the CSP are now closed. Due to the large number of applications for the CSP, there may be a delay in approving some applications. Find out more about the CSP

Budget 2022: The Government has announced Budget 2022, which includes changes to child support payments. Find out more on our Tax Policy website

Budget 2022: The Government has announced a Cost of Living Payment, which will be paid from 1 August 2022. You do not need to apply for this payment. If you are eligible, we’ll pay it into your bank account. Find out more

Paying tax on money you get from people who paid to stay in rooms in your home.
People who were paid money by someone to stay in their home.

When you get money from renting out a room or rooms in your home you’ll earn rental income.

You may need to pay tax on your rental income.

How you’re renting it out, who you’re renting to, and for how long, changes what income tax you pay.

Renting out to flatmates 

Flatmates share a house, expenses and chores. Usually one flatmate is the tenancy holder.

If you, or someone in your flat, collects rent from the others to pass on to your landlord, the income is not taxable. There’s no need to do anything. 

If you own a home and get flatmates in, you may have tax to pay on the profit from renting to them.

Use the actual cost method to see what tax you may have to pay:  

Actual cost method for working out rental income and expenses

Renting out to private boarders or home-stay students 

Private boarders and home-stay students are different to flatmates. When boarders rent rooms in your house, part of the rent they pay is for services. These are services like meals or laundry.

To see if there’s tax to pay use these tax rules for renting to private boarders: 

Standard cost method for boarders and home-stay students

Short-term renting out of rooms in your home

Renting short-term is when you rent out a room or rooms in your home for a few nights or up to 4 consecutive weeks at a time. This excludes renting out to flatmates or boarders. It's usually the type of renting you'll offer through services like Airbnb or Bookabach.

When you’re renting out rooms in your home short-term, you may be able to work out your rental income using either the:

  • short-stay standard-cost method
  • actual cost method.

Short-stay standard-cost method

The short-stay standard-cost is a fixed nightly rate you can claim against your rental income. It's for short-stay accommodation in your home. 

You can use the method if you only rent out your home for 100 nights or less over the year. (Each room in your house is equal to 1 of these nights. So if you rent out your three bedroom house for 1 night we'll see that as 3 nights.)

There’s no income tax to pay If you charge guests up to the fixed nightly rate. It's exempt income.

When you charge guests more than the fixed nightly rate you'll pay tax on the difference. You'll have to file a tax return to do that. You cannot claim expenses as the fixed nightly rate covers those.

Make sure you read the rules before using the method:

Short-stay standard cost method for renting out your home or its rooms

Actual cost method

Sometimes you cannot, or do not want to use the short-stay standard cost method. When this happens use the actual cost method to work out your taxable rental income. 

With the actual cost method, you split your expenses using the floor area guests use by the number of rental nights. This shows what expenses you can claim against your rental income. 

With this method you'll also have to fill in a tax return to pay income tax to us.  

Actual cost method for working out rental income and expenses

GST and renting out short-term

Renting out short-term is a taxable activity for GST.

If you’re not already registered for GST, you need to:

  • add your short-term rental income to income from your other taxable activities
  • register for GST if your total turnover is over $60,000 in a 12 month period.

If you’re renting out short-term and you're registered for GST you:

  • pay GST on your short-term rental income
  • claim GST on your allowable rental expenses. 

GST and your short-term rental income

Last updated: 28 Apr 2021
Jump back to the top of the page