Skip to main content

Budget 2024: The Government has announced FamilyBoost, a proposed new childcare payment to help eligible families with the rising costs of Early Childhood Education (ECE). Find out more:

If you are an incorporated society or registered charitable trust, you must maintain your registration with the Companies Office to keep your tax benefits.

You risk losing your tax benefits when your incorporated society or charitable trust is removed from the Companies Office register.

If you did not intend to be removed as a charity, for example if you forgot to file your paperwork with Charities Services or the Companies Office, you need to reregister with them.

If you choose to remove your incorporated society or charitable trust from the register but are still running, you'll need to get a new IRD number as an unincorporated organisation and reapply for any tax benefits.


You lose your tax benefits when your charity is deregistered with Charities Services.

Your charity has to pay tax for any time period it is not registered with Charities Services. Even if you were unexpectedly deregistered and you reregistered again 3 months later, you must pay income tax for income earned during that 3 months.

However, you might be able to reduce the tax you pay for that time period.

Pay less tax with a not-for-profit income deduction

If your charity is not re-registered within 1 year you may need to pay tax on any net assets.

Charities deregistration tax on assets

Your charity will also cease to be a donee organisation while it is not registered.

When your deregistered not-for-profit stops being a donee organisation

Charities that are incorporated societies or charitable trusts

These are also registered with the Companies Office. If your organisation is removed from the Companies Office register because you forgot to file, we will cease the IRD number until the organisation is reinstated.

Contact us if you’re unsure.

[email protected]

Last updated: 12 Oct 2023
Jump back to the top of the page