Skip to main content

Budget 2024: The Government has announced FamilyBoost, a proposed new childcare payment to help eligible families with the rising costs of Early Childhood Education (ECE). Find out more:

Notify us of the death

Use myTrove to notify us of a death.  When you use myTrove, there is no need to provide us with a New Zealand Death Certificate.

If you choose, myTrove can also notify the Department of Internal Affairs (for passports), a number of Banks and Insurers, and other organisations as they are added to the myTrove service.


Get proof you can act on behalf of the person who has died

We need proof you can act on behalf of the person who has died. This means you can send us information about them and receive information from us.

This proof must be written confirmation, such as a:

  • letter or secure mail through myIR from a lawyer 
  • letter of administration
  • copy of the will
  • copy of probate.

If no will, probate or letter of administration exists you may also complete a IR625 Statutory Declaration form.

Please be aware the IR625 Statutory Declaration form only gives you the ability provide a bank account number for a refund of less than $15,000. The form does not give you authorisation to speak or action any changes on behalf of the deceased.

Send us the documents

You can upload a PDF of the required documents in myTrove when you complete your notification, or send them to us by post.

If you send the original, please include a return address so we can send it back to you.

Inland Revenue
PO Box 39010
Wellington Mail Centre
Lower Hutt 5045

What happens next

Once we receive proof of death and confirmation you can act for the person who has died, we will process this. This can take 10 weeks.

You should contact the KiwiSaver scheme provider directly to claim KiwiSaver funds that are not held with Inland Revenue.

If they had a student loan we will write this off.

Contact us on 0800 227 774 if you have any questions about this.

My responsibilities

Contact us to tidy up the person’s tax and other financial affairs.

If the person who has died was a paying parent for child support, you need to let us know that payments will stop.

If the person who has died was a receiving carer, you need to let us know they will no longer receive payments. Any child support owing will go to their estate.

You must arrange for the estate of the person to pay any outstanding debt, including child support.

You must let us know if the estate of the paying parent has no funds available. We may write off any outstanding debts, including child support.

Notify us about any changes to your Working for Families situation.

You might want to search the unclaimed monies register in case there is money in the name of the person who died.

Search for unclaimed money

Contact us on 0800 227 774 if you have any questions about this.

Last updated: 11 Apr 2024
Jump back to the top of the page