Skip to main content

Resources and tools

Are you a tradie who is self-employed or running a construction business? Or maybe you're someone who helps a tradie keep on top of their books?  We know most tradies are trying to do the right thing. Here you'll find the resources and tools you need to get your tax right.

Watch our seminars

Watch our series of pre-recorded online seminars which cover the most common topics for small to medium businesses.

Introduction to business

GST Workshop

Employers Workshop

Request a business advisory visit or seminar

We’re here to help. Whether you’re already in business or considering setting up a construction business, you can make an appointment to see us. We run free seminars and workshops across New Zealand on topics like getting started in business, income tax, GST and becoming an employer.

Request a business advisory or social policy visit 

Talk to a tax agent or consider accounting software

We understand you’re on the tools during the day and the job can be hard yakka. In the midst of running a business, there’s not a lot of time left for tax. Take the pressure off and consider hiring a tax agent (an accountant) or using accounting software to give you a helping hand.

It’s important for you to keep good records. Records make it easier to:

  • work out your income and expenses
  • work out your GST if you’re GST registered
  • meet your employer obligations if you have staff
  • confirm your accounts.

Records must be in English or Māori and you need to keep them for at least 7 years.

Record keeping - checklist - IR1008


Businesses get taxed on their income minus any business expenses and other claimable deductions. If you’re in business, including if you’re
self-employed or working as a contractor, you need to keep records of your expenses and income and understand what types of costs you can claim as business expenses.

Vehicle expenses

Home office expenses

Entertainment expenses

Meal expenses



If you’re not in business and only earn income that’s already taxed at source, like salary, wages or investment income, then there are few
non-business expenses you can claim.

Individual expenses

Tradies need to pay tax on income they earn.

Accurately recording your income and expenses, keeping on top of your income tax returns and paying your income tax on time is important. If you have outstanding returns or debt owing, take a load off and get on to them now.

 If you’re self-employed or a sole trader

Individual income tax return – IR3 

Complete my individual income tax return – IR3  

If you’re running a construction business

Income tax for businesses and organisations

Companies income tax return – IR4 

If you’re in partnership

Income tax for partnerships 

Partnerships and look-through companies income tax return – IR7 

If you’re operating under a Trust

File a Trust or estate income tax return – IR6  

Additional reporting requirements for NZ domestic trusts 

Have debt owing? Need to make a payment?

Don’t dig yourself into a hole. Pay now before penalties and interest apply.

Ways of paying 

Apply for an instalment arrangement

Provisional tax

Provisional tax means paying your income tax in instalments, not in a lump sum at the end of the year.  We’ll ask you to pay provisional tax if your tax bill for the previous year was more than $5,000.

Provisional tax 

If you're self-employed or in business, once your turnover is $60,000 or more a year you need to charge 15% GST on your sales and income and pay it to us. You can claim GST back on your purchases and expenses.
Have outstanding GST returns or debt? Don’t paint over the cracks – get your GST sorted now.

Registering for GST

Calculating your GST

Filing GST

Paying GST

GST refunds

GST guide - IR375

If you’re running a construction business and employing people you need to keep on top of your employer obligations.
This includes making deductions from employees' pay and sending the information to us – otherwise known as payday filing. Deductions includes PAYE, KiwiSaver, student loan and child support.

Register as an employer

Deductions from income

Payday filing

Paying deductions to Inland Revenue

Employers guide - IR335 

Schedular payments

Schedular payments are payments made to independent contractors, with withholding tax deducted. If you're hiring independent contractors you need to deduct withholding tax and pay it to us on behalf of your contractor.

Schedular payments

Putting past tax returns right - voluntary disclosures

With our access to data we have a good handle on what happens in the construction industry.

Forgotten some income off your past tax returns, overinflated your expenses, or perhaps you remember an error you made in the past? We want to give you a chance to put things right. It’s never too late to do the right thing - get in touch with us sooner rather than later. By making a voluntary disclosure you may have penalties reduced by 100% and you’ll keep your good business reputation intact.

Make a voluntary disclosure