Skip to main content

Resurgence Support Payments (RSPs) Resurgence Support Payment (RSPs) – Applications have opened for a 6th RSP payment. Applications for the first 3 payments close at midnight on 1 December. Find out more

After the hearing, the review officer considers the information given by everyone involved, as well as any relevant information we hold. They look at how the child support assessment affects:

  • the child
  • you
  • the other people involved.

There is no guarantee the assessment will be changed.

We usually finalise the decision within 3 weeks of the hearing and send everyone involved a copy. The review officer must provide reasons for their decision. Any information given to the review officer may also be in the decision, including any information:

  • given by the other person or people involved
  • already held by us.

Contrary decisions

When you apply for a child support review, it may not be limited to the grounds or reasons given in the application. The decision can have the opposite effect to the change you’ve applied for. We call this a 'contrary decision'.

When you’re thinking about applying for a review under one ground, keep in mind that the review officer may also consider other grounds.

Example - contrary decisions

You’re a liable parent and it costs you extra to cover your dependent child's special needs.

You could apply for these extra costs to be taken into account when your child support payments are worked out. But if the review officer sees that you’ve also recently had a large pay rise, you may find your child support payments go up overall.

Last updated: 30 Apr 2021
Jump back to the top of the page