Skip to main content

COVID-19 Alert Level 1 If you've been affected by COVID-19, we may be able to help. Find out more

Anyone who needs to pay tax, penalties, child support, student loans or interest from overseas.
By the payment due date.

You can make payments to us with Visa and Mastercard debit and credit cards from overseas.

You'll need to check with your bank or provider to make sure you are clear about international fees. Also, banks often charge a convenience fee for debit and credit card payments. You will not be charged this fee when making payments for student loans or child support with a credit or debit card from overseas.

We no longer accept payment by cheque. The good news is that there are plenty of other payment options that are faster, cheaper, and more secure. Take a look through our other payment options below to find one that's right for you.

Pay using a debit or credit card

You can also pay using a credit or debit card if you do not have a myIR account. You'll need:

  • your IRD number
  • the account you're making the payment for.

If you're making child support payments using a credit or debit card, you'll need to use the option outside of myIR.

Pay using a credit or debit card - without myIR

Setting up direct debit payments in myIR

If you're in Australia, the United Kingdom, Europe (Single European Payments Area), Canada or the United States, there is a new way to set up direct debit payments in your myIR account.

To get set up, you'll first need to create a direct debit agreement with Inland Revenue. You only need to do this once. This tells us which bank account you'll be using for direct debit payments. You'll have an option to choose your country or region before entering your bank account details.

Set up a direct debit agreement with us

Next, you'll be able to make direct debit payments for your accounts with us. You specify and approve each payment that you set up. You can choose between making a single, one-off payment or multiple, ongoing payments.

Make a one-off direct debit payment

Make ongoing direct debit payments

If you do not have an amount to pay, you will not get the direct debit payment option. If there is an amount to pay, you'll be able to pay the full or partial amount by direct debit.

Setting up direct debit payments from overseas is not yet available if you're trying to make child support payments. It will be soon.

Making a money transfer

You can also make a payment to us through money transfer sites. The following sites, in most cases, do not charge fees for making international payments to us.

They will generally let you know when to enter the information we need. However, if they do not or you use a different site or a bank to send us a money transfer, you'll need to make sure you give us:

  • your IRD number
  • the period date the payment is for
  • the tax type you are making the payment toward.

You need to write these in the reference field when you make the payment if you're not otherwise asked for them.



Western Union Business Solutions

You'll also hear money transfers called 'telegraphic transfers', usually by banks. The sample form below is an example of the information you'll need. However, you'll need to contact your bank for their specific form to make such a payment.