Skip to main content

Offices closed All Inland Revenue offices are currently closed to the public to help limit the spread of COVID-19.

COVID-19 - Level 1 and Level 2 If you've been affected by COVID-19, we may be able to help. Find out more

Anyone who wants to pay us online.
Your payment due date.

Internet banking payments

You can pay using your bank’s website or app for internet banking.

When you make direct credit payments, we recommend using the pay tax function provided by most New Zealand banks. (There is no fee for this service.)

Use the following details when making a direct credit payment to us.

Detail What to include 
Particulars Your IRD number. If you have an 8-digit IRD number put a 0 at the beginning
Payee code Account and (space) period. For example INC 31032016
Reference Leave blank

Use the same details when you make a direct credit payment.

You do not need to put the period in the payee code if you’re making a payment for:

  • ARR - arrangements
  • KSS - KiwiSaver voluntary contributions
  • LGL - legal decisions
  • NCP - child support liable parents
  • RUL - rulings and determinations
  • SBC - small business cash loans.

Our bank account

If you need it, our bank account number is:
Inland Revenue Department 

Credit and debit card payments

You can make payments to us with debit and credit cards.

Pay using a debit or credit card

You can also pay using a credit or debit card if you do not have a myIR account. You'll need:

  • your IRD number
  • the account you're making the payment for.

If you're making child support payments using a credit or debit card, you'll need to use the option outside of myIR.

Pay using a credit or debit card - without myIR

The bank charges a convenience fee of 1.42% for any credit or debit card payment made to us. Exceptions are made for student loans and child support payments made from overseas. Convenience fees are charged and paid directly to the bank.

Direct debit payments

If you're using myIR, you can:

  • save direct debit details with us
  • make one-off direct debit payments
  • authorise multiple direct debit payments.

To get set up, you'll first need to create a direct debit agreement with Inland Revenue. You only need to do this once. This tells us which bank account you'll be using for direct debit payments.

Set up a direct debit agreement with us

Next, you'll be able to make direct debit payments for your accounts with us. You specify and approve each payment that you set up. You can choose between making a single, one-off payment or multiple, ongoing payments.

Make a one-off direct debit payment

Make ongoing direct debit payments

If you do not have an amount to pay, you will not get the direct debit payment option. If there is an amount to pay, you'll be able to pay the full or partial amount by direct debit.

Automatic payments

You can pay off outstanding tax by making payments for a regular amount for a fixed frequency.

You can set this up using:

  • your bank’s online services
  • an automatic payment authority form to give to your bank.