myIR, payments and more
What's changed for tax agents
You'll notice some changes when you log in to myIR. While your homepage will look the same, your "GST" section is now called "Business".
What's on this page
The GST section has been renamed to Business. You'll still be able to file your GST, but it looks different to what you're used to.
From this section you'll be able to file and amend the following returns:
- gaming machine duty (GMD)
- fringe benefit tax (FBT)
- portfolio investment entities (PIE)
- withholding taxes:
- approved issuer levy (AIL)
- non-resident withholding tax (NRT)
- resident land withholding tax (RLWT)
- resident withholding tax (IPS) on interest
- resident withholding tax (DWT) on dividends.
Remember to complete your end-of-year (EOY) certificates as well as your annual reconciliation statements.
You'll also be able to register and report for:
- Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA)
- Common Reporting Standards (CRS).
We've also simplified the process for registering clients for new account types. This means you can apply for multiple tax products with a single registration in myIR.
Your clients will no longer see the full name and email address for any Account tax preparer or Customer tax preparer logon who has access to their accounts. Instead they'll just see the logon details and agency name on returns and actions completed on behalf of the client. This should reduce client confusion over who is managing their accounts.
My Accounts/Client Accounts
This no longer exists. You can now access your workspace from the Customers tab or the Accounts tab.
Customers - this shows the clients you have in your workspace at their IRD number level. You can navigate into the client from this tab and review the accounts you have for them in your workspace.
Accounts - this shows the accounts (tax types) for the clients you have in your workspace.
If you have more than 12 clients or accounts you'll have a list view. We've incorporated your feedback - the search bar is visible so you can type into it without having to select the "More" button.
This section is where you'll find:
- all the web requests you've submitted
- your drafts
- any requests waiting to be processed, and
- all your processed requests.
Submissions sent at the account level, eg, filing a GST return, will display when you're in the GST account. You'll be able to view all submissions from the customer level.
This section is where you'll find your web messages, notices, summary of account and letters for the account types in the Business section. You can now include attachments when you send us a secure message.
Correspondence will display at either customer or account level. If you're an Owner or Administrator this is where you'll find customer-level mail for your tax agency.
The Tax preparer tab is a new function in myIR. Most actions you'll complete here will have been in the Activity centre tab before. Your menu items are dependent on your assigned access role in myIR. You may be able to:
- Link and delink clients and change your clients mailing indicator. Client linking and delinking for all account types will be done here. All the available accounts a client is registered for is now in one screen to make it easier for you to manage. You won't need to link or delink in two places anymore.
- View all redirected client mail even if the client isn’t in your workspace (owner and administrator roles only).
- Update the clients and accounts in your workspace.
- Register a client for a new account (if they're not already in your workspace).
- Generate agency reports (owner and administrator roles only).
- Bulk file GST returns. All other return filing is done individually, within your actual client.
- Complete financial transfers from the account the credit is coming from or going to. Our transfer credit calculator can help you work out the best effective date and amount to transfer.
If you're a Restricted User you won't be able to access client maintenance, eg linking/delinking clients, registering a client for a new account or financial transfers.
You can also access a Tax agent reports menu (for owners and administrators) with five reports. Some of these you may have seen before and some are new:
- Client list report
You can access client registration information. If your client has multiple locations this information will display across two rows.
Note: This report won't display income tax details for your clients. You'll need to run AMBR reports for this information.
- Agency activity report
You can run reports on linked and delinked clients, credit transfers, bank account changes and clients who aren't allocated to a workspace.
- Client workspace report
You can review by client who has access to their accounts.
- Web logon activity report
Owners can monitor staff myIR logon activity.
- GST return summary reports
You can get an information summary of filed GST returns.
- All client transactions
View account transactions for any linked client, for any account type.
You can run Agency reports across various date ranges. Some will be limited to the amount of time the information has been available in myIR. Most reports will have date range parameters.
You can run the Transactions summaries and GST return summary report across any client, even if they're not in the owners or administrators workspace. Users and restricted users can access the same version of these reports from within the client.
We've transfered all client links to the new Business section in myIR. You don't need to link again. This is the same process we used for GST in February 2017.
When linking a new client you'll see all the accounts they have available, including those that aren't in the Business section.
Accessing new accounts
To access the new accounts for clients you're already linked to, you'll need to update your workspace to bring them in.
Not every logon in an agency requires the client to be added to their workspace. You only need to add those you will be actively working on.
Manage my workspace is a new core feature in the Tax preparer tab of myIR. You can manage your clients and accounts here, and it also provides you with the following enhancements.
- You can access a list of the clients you're working on. You won't need to enter an IRD number to access this list like you did in Look at account information.
- Your client list shows the account balances, which you can reorder by any column heading, making credits and debits more visible.
- Manage my workspace gives you the option to add all or some of your clients. You can move clients in and out if you don't work on them regularly.
- Because we've added a new account for each of the tax types that have moved into Business, your workspace isn't designed to have all your clients listed (unless you're a small agency, eg less than 100 clients). Once your client list is more than a few pages it may be slower to navigate.
- We're developing a way for your to bulk remove clients so you can start over and just add in the clients that you're working on.
Displaying your linked clients
- You can make changes to your workspace by adding and removing clients.
Manage workspace screen won’t include your tax agencies own account if you are linked to your own agency. Only the owner or administrator can grant you access to the agencies account. They can do this by going to Settings>Manage additional logons. Once you've been granted access, the account will appear in your workspace to be accessed.
Help using the manage my workspace service
There is a PDF available in myIR to help you use manage my workspace. We've made some updates to this document. Make sure if you have printed the PDF you have the latest version.
Changes to how often employers and payroll intermediaries file employer returns has been passed by the government. This means you can file your returns every payday, rather than monthly or twice-monthly.
Accounting income method (AIM) for provisional tax
AIM is a new option for provisional tax. Once you've opted in to use it, you'll only pay provisional tax when your business makes a profit.
We've developed a range of videos to help you with the changes to myIR. These videos include an overview of the changes, and how to use the new Tax preparer tab.