You can request information from us under the Official Information Act 1982 and the Privacy Act 1993.
What types of requests for information you can make
As a government department, all the information we hold is subject to the Official Information Act 1982. You can make a request under this Act if you're a:
- New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
- person in New Zealand
- corporate entity (a company or incorporated society) which is incorporated in New Zealand, or has a place of business here.
We're also subject to the Privacy Act 1993. The Privacy Act promotes and protects the privacy of individuals and sets out principles for how agencies collect, use, disclose, store and give access to personal information.
Principle 6 of the Privacy Act gives individuals the right to request access to information about themselves that is held by an agency in New Zealand. This means that anyone can contact any government agency and ask to see what information is held about them.
Before making a request for information
The information you need might already be publicly available. Before making a request for information we encourage you to check out our other websites.
You can also access some of your information through your myIR account. If you do not have an account, it's easy to register.
Use our online form
You can make an official or a personal information request using our online form.
If you email, call or post us
When you make your request, make sure you include:
- that you're making a request for information
- the information you're requesting, for example, documents or information on a topic created within a stated timeframe such as January 2016 to June 2016
- your name
- your preferred address for receiving information, either postal or email
- a daytime contact phone number
- your IRD number, if you know it, when requesting personal information - this will help us identify you and make sure we give you the correct information.
We'll always try to respond to your request using your preferred contact method. If we can't we'll let you know why.
For official information requests, you can email us at:
For personal information requests, you can email us at:
You can reach us on:
Monday to Friday, 8am to 4:30pm
Write to us
Write and post your letter to:
PO Box 2198